with illustrations by
Audrey is a cow with poetry in her blood, who yearns for the greener pastures beyond Bittersweet Farms.
But when Roy the horse tells this bovine dreamer that she is headed for Abbot’s War, the slaughter house, Audrey knows that she must leave her home and friends sooner than she ever imagined.
Cleverly written as an oral account, this unique illustrated tale of an animal on the run, told “to camera”, uses over thirty narrative voices, including six humans, four cows, three sheep, two sheep dogs, one pig and a very silly rooster. Full of heart and humor, Audrey (cow) is ultimately a very human story about life and death, friendship, and holding on to one’s dreams – based more or less on a true story.
- 2015 Governor General’s Award
- 2015 Rocky Mountain Book Award
- 2015 Red Cedar Book Award
- 2015 Ruth & Sylvia Schwartz Award
- 2016 Diamond Willow Award
- 2015-2016 Maine Student Book Award
- 2016-2017 Chocolate Lily Award
Starred reviews in:
- Kirkus Review
- Publishers Weekly
- School Library Journal
- Quill & Quire
“Best of” Lists:
- Kirkus Best Children’s Book of 2014
- CBC Children’s Book Panel Selection for Winter 2014
- Kirkus Best Middle-Grade Science Fiction, Fantasy & Adventure 2014
- New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading & Sharing 2014
- Today’s Parent Top 10 Middle Grade Books of 2014
- Kirkus Best Middle-Grade Books of 2014 for Readers Who Like Quirky
- Canadian Children’s Book Centre Summer Reading List 2015
- Amazon.ca Best Books of November for Children and Teens
FOLLOW THE AUDREY (COW) BLOG!
“First there was Wilbur the pig. Then there was Ivan the shopping mall gorilla. Now there’s Audrey the cow”
BookPage Children’s Top Pick, November 2014
“Part Great Escape, part Hatchet, part Charlotte’s Web, all wonderful.”
Kirkus Review, September 15, 2014
“Audrey (cow) is a not-to-be-missed book which treats themes of life and death and friendship in a manner both wise and light-hearted.”
CM Magazine, October 10, 2014
“Had you told me before I read it, that I would be enthralled by the journey of a cow, I might not have believed you – but oh how I now wish for a sequel.”
Pages Unbound, November 17, 2014
AUDREY (COW) IS AVAILABLE IN SOFT COVER
LISTEN TO AUDREY (COW) READ BY THE AUTHOR
April 2020 – For the duration of the Covid-19 virus isolation that all of us are going through, I have put up a video recording of the story divided up into eleven 25 minute (approx.) readings on my Facebook page.
You can find the first one here: Audrey (cow) Part 1
You can find the whole set here: Audrey (cow) Parts 1-11
And because this novel is told through 30+ voices, you can see the cast list here: Audrey (cow) cast list in order of appearance